Alta. ranchers get brief access in evacuated areas

Livestock producers who need to feed and water their animals in fire-prone evacuated areas of northern Alberta can get authorization to do so.

The provincial agriculture department said Thursday that producers in evacuated areas can get escorted visits to their farms for feeding and watering of livestock.

To request an authorization to visit a farm, a producer must call the province’s toll-free provincewide comment line at 310-4455.

He or she will then have to provide a name, cellphone contact number, the legal land description for the farm in question, the number and type of animals on the farm, what he or she plans to do while on the farm and an estimate of how long it will take.

If the area in question is without power, producers will also have to explain beforehand how they plan to feed and water their animals.

After he or she places that call, the producer will be contacted with a scheduled time to go to a checkpoint for access.

About the author

Glacier FarmMedia Feed

GFM Network News

Glacier FarmMedia, a division of Glacier Media, is Canada's largest publisher of agricultural news in print and online.


Stories from our other publications