Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz and International Trade Minister Ed Fast on Dec. 30 announced "a major step" toward restoring access for Canadian beef in South Korea.
The announcement follows the South Korean Parliament ratifying the import health requirements (IHRs) for Canadian beef under 30 months of age.
The government release said the South Korean Government still has to promulgate the IHRs early in the new year, then issue a list of approved beef establishments for export and formally accept the import health certificates. This is expected to happen early in 2012.
The Government of Canada had previously suspended implementation of penalties allowed by World Trade Organization ruling against the Korean import restrictions, and it said the process remains suspended following this latest decision.
South Korea banned imports of Canadian beef following Canada’s first case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in May 2003.