Alta. allows Crown leaseholders to sublet for grazing

The Alberta government will “temporarily relax” its policies on Crown land use to allow livestock producers to sublet public land they’ve leased for grazing.

The province announced its decision Tuesday, citing a request from Alberta Beef Producers. Many livestock producers have been “struggling” in drought-stricken areas with animals to feed and little available forage, the province said.

With this temporary exemption to Crown land policy, producers in areas hard hit by the dry conditions will be able to work with the producers who hold ag leases on public land, the province said.

If there’s available forage to support more animals on the public land in question, whether it’s leased or vacant, the provincial sustainable resource management department may approve applications for temporary replacement grazing opportunities.

The province said Tuesday it will review these requests on a case-by-case basis, due to the “limited amount” of public grazing land available for these purposes.

Producers who want to sublet their grazing lease or to ask about a particular parcel of vacant public land can call their local Rangeland Management office or the Rangeland Management branch of the provincial sustainable resource development department at 780-427-3595.

About the author

Glacier FarmMedia Feed

GFM Network News

Glacier FarmMedia, a division of Glacier Media, is Canada's largest publisher of agricultural news in print and online.


Stories from our other publications