Making corrections to previously posted AgExpert Analyst transactions is something every user will inevitably need to learn how to do. My mistakes in data entry often happen when I’m trying to multi-task, in a rush, or working late at night. Most busy producers can relate!
Thankfully, making corrections and changes to an account number or amount, changing a date, or completely reversing a double entry, can be done in a few simple steps.
Find the transaction
First, open the Edit or Reverse Transaction Screen: To do this, from the main menu, select Transactions > Edit or Reverse Transaction.
Or, if you’re already in the Transaction Entry Screen, Point of Sale, or General Journal, then click on “filing cabinet” icon button at the bottom left hand side of your screen.
Or, you can use a quick keyboard shortcut [Alt] + [E].
Next, find the specific transaction you wish to correct.
- You can search by transaction “Type.” I normally set mine to “show all” transactions. However, from the drop down list you have several search options that allow you to narrow down the list.
- You can further search the transaction list by typing into the “Search” box more detail. If you’re looking for a transaction that is for $12.50, type in “12.50” and it will bring you to any transactions with that amount. You can also type in a specific reference number, audit number, or supplier name for example.
Another great feature is being able to sort the list by column headers. If you use your mouse to click on the “date” column header, it will sort the list of transactions by date.
Example: I’m looking for a transaction from my local co-op between January and June for approximately $1,000, but I’m not sure of the exact amount. This is one way I’d search for it. 1. Type: “Show All” From: 1/1/2015 To: 06/30/2015. 2. Search: local Co-op. 3. Click on the “Total” column header. This will sort all the local Co-op transactions between January and June by amount. From here I could easily scroll down and find any local Co-op transactions within the $1000 range.
Viewing, editing or reversing transactions
Did you know? AgExpert Analyst maintains an audit trail. Recorded transactions can’t be deleted. If you need to change a recorded transaction, you must either edit or reverse it.
First, click on the transaction to highlight it. Then at the bottom of the screen, chose one of the five options.
- View: displays all the transaction information, but won’t allow you to make any changes. Close when done.
- Full Edit: allows you to make a change to any field including bank accounts, amounts, posting account types and account numbers. After you make the changes, record the transaction. The Full Edit will automatically create a reversed transaction, then post a new transaction to reflect the changes. Example: If you did a Full Edit of Audit #100, the original transaction will be Audit #100, the automatic reversal will be Audit #101, and the new transaction reflecting the changes will be Audit #102. Tip: When viewing any AgExpert Report containing a blue audit number, clicking on the audit number will take you straight to the Full Edit Screen. This is a great time saver if you spot something that needs to be changed while viewing your reports.
- Quick Edit: allows you to partially edit a transaction to change the date, reference or description. You can also add or change a note attached to a transaction, or print a cheque after recording the transaction. Note: When you do a Quick Edit, AgExpert doesn’t create a reversal, and the original audit number stays the same. I recommend using the Quick Edit, for simple changes.
- Reverse: Select the transaction to be reversed, click “Reverse” and “Yes.” A reversed transaction will automatically be posted containing amounts opposite to the original, which negates the original. This works well if you have double entered a transaction by mistake. Hint: Reversed transactions must be set to “Show” under Setup > Preferences in order to see them in the Edit or Reverse Transactions List. I personally like to “Show” them as I’m doing my day-to-day entering, but I like to “Hide” them when I print out my reports. You can change your preference at any time.
- Print Preview: allows you to print a transaction report of the transactions displayed in the list. Tip: Use the search options to downsize the transaction list to exactly what should be printed.
Did you know? In the 2016-01 version of AgExpert, there is a great new feature in the Edit or Reverse Transaction Entry Screen — a note icon on the right side of the list will show you which transactions have notes attached.