Your Reading List

Bales are home, fence almost complete

Other than during a short Christmas break, farm projects continued

Components from several pieces of equipment went into 
the design of this barbed-wire roller, 
but the well-built 
device worked well.

So far, the winter has been open and the weather has been decent with just a few days here and there with cold temperatures and a terrible wind. On Dec. 9 we finally got a chance to get back to our hay hauling. We hauled hay consistently for about 10 days, getting it all home before winter officially started. Within that 10 days Gregory had to take time to fix a back tire on the tractor and put a starter on John’s truck.

On Dec. 21 we started putting up the wire on the new fence around the pasture by Landis. It is going to take us some time to get it all up, but we have confidence now that it will be completed before we need it in the spring.

We had a nice Christmas supper on Dec. 23 with Rose and Barney Simon, Joseph’s adopted grandparents. On Christmas day we went down and visited with our neighbour, Al, for a while and then had Christmas supper at John and Barb’s. We did some more Christmas visiting on the 26th and then we got right back to work on our fence.

New Year’s Day was quiet. Gregory and John worked on an unroller to use for the used wire that we bought from Gregory’s Grandpa Fred. It consists of two straw spreaders off a John Deere combine with the fins removed, an old disc, an old truck rim and a few other bits and pieces. It is a strange sight at first, but it works like a charm.

While Gregory and I ran the wire and stapled it into place, Barney Simon and John worked at rolling up the old high-tensile hotline ahead of us. Once the old wire was rolled up, Barney drove the truck to unroll the wire and John worked on clearing a path through the brush for us.

On Jan. 6 we took a day off from the fence. After feeding all the animals we visited Dan and Shelia Roth, the neighbours who let us graze the horses on their pasture this last summer. We had a good visit and a wonderful supper.

Jan. 7 was cold and the wind was miserable. John and Barb had to go to an appointment in Saskatoon and Rose and Barney went to visit their daughter and grandson in Alberta for a few days. Gregory, Joseph, the faithful dog Dude and I braved the frigid weather to get a quarter mile of fence up. We were worried that the wind and the new snow that was forecasted would make it to where we couldn’t use the truck to run wire. That was the last quarter mile that was really in danger of being blown in thanks to the pea stubble that was across the road. We got it done despite the frigid wind. The cold weather shut us down for a few days, but after the 11th we were looking at just over 1/4 of a mile left to go on the perimeter fence.

About the author


Heather Eppich is a young former Idaho rancher building a new farm and family with her husband and young son, near Handel, Sask. Contact her at: [email protected]



Stories from our other publications