We found ourselves madly swathing and combining at the end of August. The beginning of September brought a few light showers but we were able to keep trudging onward. We never got started very early thanks to the light showers and the heavy dew, but we were still able to put in some good days.
I did my usual chores and then decided to walk out to the pasture and check the bulls and the horses. It was a good thing because I found LJ, the colt that Gregory has been riding, with a terrible cut on the inside of his right hock and our yearling bull on the outside of the fence. I got Gregory and we were able to clean and bandage the cut. It is going to be a long road ahead but I think we can get him healed and sound enough to ride. After we got LJ cleaned up, we got the bull back in and then went investigating. We found two bottom wires broke and pulled into the pasture. Our best guess is that the bulls must have been fighting and pushed the yearling bull through the fence, and then LJ came to referee and got in the middle of the wire.
We had a pretty good run even with the light showers and the dew, but then we got rained out. We finished up the last of our oats Sept. 11 and then on the 12th started raining and rained for about a week. We got the combines tucked into the shed before the worst of the rain and there they sit, waiting for the sun to come out.
The morning of the 11th we got a call that the bulls were out. The night before, a terrible rainstorm came through and it had blown a bale off of last year’s stack and onto the fence. The bulls walked over the fence, out into the summerfallow field, through the open gate and onto the road where there was some nice green grass in the ditch. We pushed them back into the yard and promptly put them in the corral. They are not very happy being locked in on hay but we can’t have them learning to go through fences.
Gregory and I took the post-pounder truck out to the Landis pasture and pounded in about 50 posts. We knew the fence needed attention but didn’t realize how bad it was in places. We fixed two sides of the pasture and ran out of posts. It rained pretty good the next couple days and we didn’t get a chance to go back until the Sept. 19. We pounded in another 50 posts and still didn’t make it all the way around it. We did get the worst places fixed though and it wasn’t until the very end of the day that we got the truck stuck. We were going along on the outside of a slough when, after the fifth post, the truck broke through and we were stuck. Thankfully the neighbour came by and pulled us out with his tractor.
On the evening Sept. 21 it started snowing. On the 22nd, the first day of fall, we woke up to about three inches of snow. We are praying for the weather to turn around so we can finish harvest.